Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

David with the Head of Goliath


Artist: Girolamo Forabosco
Title: David with the Head of Goliath
Year: 1670
Materials: Oil colors on canvas

The painting that Girolamo Forabosco created is called, David with the Head of Goliath, which does in fact include a rhetorical situation.  For those of you who do not know the story behind David and Goliath, it is a bible story within the Old Testament.  This story is associated with the Christian religion and the war that was being created between Palestine and Isreal.  The issue that could be created with this story is that how could a small Israeli boy named David battle against Goliath.  Many people fear the size of their competitor or challenger, but that is not the case in this story.  Before knowing the result of the battle one would assume that Goliath certainly would have the upper hand, but with the power of God on his side, David knew he would be able to stand up to Goliath.  David then reached for his slingshot and with the power of God on his side pierced Goliath’s head with a stone and he dropped dead.  I do in fact feel that this paint does in create a conversation with that moment because of the event itself that was painted.  I feel that the painting strikes up the conversation of how a small boy such as David could take down such a large man.
This painting does in fact appeal to my emotions or pathos.  As a child growing up I was raised by the Christian religion so I did already have some knowledge about the bible verse, David and Goliath.  I understand the meaning behind it about how God gave David the strength and courage to stand up to Goliath and win the battle, but when I was looking at the painting in the museum and thinking about it when I left it made me think a little.  When I was younger my aunt gave me a plaque that said, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me”.  This saying came from Phil. 4:13.  It is a saying that my mom always would tell me to remember when I am in a difficult situation.  Now I know this from a different section of the bible, but I felt that it pertains to me as well as the story of David and Goliath.  David was giving the strength within himself to defeat Goliath.
Forabosco was born in Padua, Italy in the year 1604.  He lived until January 23, 1679.   He was known for painting portraitures throughout his lifetime.  His style of painting was through oil colors.  Although he has painted many religious paintings they were not his main point of interest.  He liked to really portray different personalities for his paintings.  His point of creating this painting was to show the beauty or irony with David holding up the head of Goliath.  He focused more on the personality of a picture with the way he painted the facial and body features.  That is why in this one he tried to show innocence and beauty with David while still holding the decapitated head of Goliath.
I feel that the artist as well as the painting is trying to show that there may be more meaning than just a victory.  If I were to guess how and artist would create or depict that moment I would have assumed it would have given off a more violent vibe.  This one does not do so.  Victory or triumph does not have to bring out the worst in others.  It almost represents sportsmanship in a way.
            I would have to say that my overall experience in the museum was successful.  Although I do not see myself as someone who can easily depict a piece of art, I can say that talking to everyone in the class and taking a closer and deeper look, I did have somewhat of a better understanding.  I would not consider myself as someone who would go to a museum often because art does not hold my attention very well.  Now maybe that I am older and have not been to a museum in a long time I might have a better appreciation for it.  I am not sure if I would go back by myself anytime soon, but  I will say that some of the sculptures or paintings did catch my attention and that doing this assignment made me think a little bit more about how art affects everyone differently.

http://www.artfortune.com/girolamo-forabosco/artist-129602/

No comments:

Post a Comment